Friday, August 12, 2011

Universal languages v. Gestures

When I took a stroll around Malmö, Sweden, I found this place. The menus on the walls were written in English, but eye-catching large letter said COFFEE BEER FOOD in English. I've been to 26 countries and a lot of countries had own national language(s), but from my point of view, coffee, beer, food are like one of the universal languages. Plus, I'd say pictures and gestures come in very handy sometimes. Speaking of gestures, when I was on a Thai Airways flight, a couple next to me didn't speak anything in English or Thai. When a flight attendant asked them something to drink, the husband just pointed a finger at my can of SINGHA beer, then pointed the finger at himself. He meant to give him the same thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment