Thursday, August 26, 2010

I'm a huge fan of Mama Pad Kee Mao

One day in Thailand I went to Nakhon Pathom (Thai: นครปฐม) from Bangkok to have a dinner. Nakhon Pathom is famous for Phra Pathom Chedi (Thai: พระปฐมจดีย์) which is the tallest stupa in the world. In front of the stupa, there was a huge night bazaar and I took a Mama Pad Kee Mao (Thai: มาม่าผัดขี้เมา). I'm no linguist, but Mama (Thai: มาม่า) is a brand name of instant noodles, Pad (Thai: ผัด) means fry, and Kee Mao (Thai: ขี้เมา) means inebriated person (a.k.a. drunken man or kind of like this). So, Mama Pad Kee Mao is kind of like a spicy fried instant noodles. You can also ask a chef to fry it with seafood (Thai: ทะเล) or pork (Thai: หมู) or something you like. In that case you can say I'll take a : มาม่าผัดขี้เมาทะเล or มาม่าผัดขี้เมาหมู and so on.

No comments:

Post a Comment