Thursday, August 5, 2010

Variety is the spice of life

When I return to Thailand, I usually eat Pak Boon Fai Daeng (Thai: ผัดผักบุ้งไฟแดง) for my first dinner. You can see the dish on the right side of the photo. I had this dinner at my favorite place in Pattaya, Thailand. The place is a little too far from beach side hotels area, so I often take a motorbike taxi to get there for the first night. I mean just after long bumpy flight from somewhere. That day I ordered a egg salad dish as well for a change. I don't know how do you say in English, but Thai call it Yum Kai Dao (also spelled Yam Jhai Dao, Thai: ยำไข่ดาว). I'm no linguist, but Yum (Thai: ยำ) means mix, Kai (Thai: ไข่) means eggs and Dao (Thai: ดาว) means star in English, so Yum Kai Dao is like deep fried eggs and mixed salad. Deep fried eggs has a scraggly shape and in a way it looks like a star, so it's called Kai Dao (Thai: ไข่ดาว). By the way, when you can see the menu includes the word "Yum" in Thailand, I'd say it's a spicy food and it's so yummy due to Thai chefs mix a lot of chilies in it. I love spicy food.

No comments:

Post a Comment